What do butchers have in common with camping?
My first interview with a butcher.
What brought Tannum Meats to my attention was a post on Facebook by these guys with a unique way of promoting brains on special. I’ll let you find their post (dated 6 March 2020) yourself – @tannummeats.
Looking closer at their page, I see the humour seems to run deep.
The Honourable Minister for Finance and War and I remember this area well. It’s as far as the ol’ ‘78 Hiace got us on our honeymoon back in 1990 before we needed the the radiator rebuilt – we spent the day in Gladstone and have sone fond memories of the second hand (bric-a-brac) store that was in the main street on the hill.
I’ll have to pop in again one day – and hope you do too.
All the best guys.
See you soon.
Our local butchers still play an important role in servicing our towns. The convenience of shopping at larger supermarkets has impacted on the smaller butcher shops dotted around Australia, yet there are those butchers that have found a niche and continue to thrive.
There is nothing better than discovering a local butcher- especially when you are in the Aussie outdoors camping.
Responses from the Butcher
1. What is your name and role?
Melanie Wilson, Owner, along with husband Brendon.
2. In what year did your butcher shop first open?
We opened Tannum Meats in 2007 and also own Kin Kora Meats at Gladstone opened 2009.
3. How long have you been with the butcher shop?
Brendon has been butchering for over 30 years.
4. What time of the day do you start work?
We are open 7 days a week 6-5:30 Monday to Friday 6-2 Saturday and 6-1 Sunday.
5. Has your butchers won any awards?
We have won numerous awards for our sausages, value added lines and pork lines.
6. Do you sell chicken schnitzels?
Yes we sell chicken schnitzels.
7. How important to you is the travelling tourist trade?
We get a lot of tourist trade in Tannum Sands for holiday during the winter months lots of grey nomads.
8. Where is the best place for travelling visitors to park a car and caravan when they shop at the butchers?
Best place to park is on the road with a caravan.
9. What would you recommend is the ?must do? thing in town for a visitor?
Gladstone is an industry town best thing to do would be take a tour with Gladstone Region Tours.
10. How do you feel your butcher shop best supports the local community?