Spicy Ginger & Apple Self-Saucing Pudding From the Queen recipes website with some alterations to cook in the camp oven.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1. 800g (approx. 4) granny smith apples
2. 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
3. 150g butter, melted
4. 1 ¼ cups (190g) self-raising flour
5. 1/4 cup (55g) firmly packed brown sugar
6. 1 tsp ground cinnamon or Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste
7. 1 tsp ground ginger
8. 60g crystallised ginger, finely sliced
9. ½ cup (125ml) milk
10. 1 egg
11. 2 tablespoons golden syrup
1. 1 cup (150g) lightly packed brown sugar
2. 1 tsp corn flour
3. 20g butter, room temperature
4. 2 teaspoons Queen Vanilla Bean Paste
5. 1 3/4 cups (435ml) boiling water
Light a fire for coals or count out your heat beads. If you’re using heat beads you can commence to activate them. Usually takes 30 minutes.
Measure out ingredients.
Pre-heat a 9 or 10” camp oven.
Method - Pudding
1. Peel and core the apples, cutting each apple into 8 wedges. In the camp oven over medium-high heat, cook apples, caster sugar and 50 grams of the butter, turning occasionally, until caramelised (approximately 15 minutes). Set aside to cool for 15 minutes, lid ajar.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger and crystallised ginger in a bowl. Add milk, egg, golden syrup and remaining butter (100g) and stir until smooth. Spoon batter over apples in the camp oven, spreading evenly to cover.
Method - Sauce
In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar and corn flour. Add butter, Vanilla Bean Paste, salt and boiling water. Stir until butter has melted and mixture is combined. Gently pour over pudding batter. Using back of spoon method.
If using Queen Cinnamon Baking Paste, incorporate paste into wet ingredients.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes in a 180deg C oven and serve warm with ice cream.
TIPS AND TRICKS:
To cook in a 9” camp oven you will need 3 – 4 Hot Shots beads under and a full ring on the lid. Replace beads as needed to maintain a full ring.
Copyright Notice: This recipe was created by Bruce and Patricia Batterham – Gidgee Gang: Camp Oven Cooks: Townsville, North Queensland, Australia.